Joys and Pains of Home Ownership

There are plenty of things to love about owning a home.  It's great and I'm happy we have been able to do it, but sometimes you're reminded that with all the joy of control comes the pain of responsibility.  Home damage... it doesn't happen very often, but when it does it's a huge pain in the butt.  Even with homeowner's insurance it's an inconvenient expense and a hassle.  Especially if you're like most people and have something like a $1000 deductible, which means you have to magically find $1000!  lol  So, here's what happened.  We were chilling out, giving ourselves a day off.  The sun was out and I was working on the garden.  I took a walk around the yard and noticed some water dripping from under the deck, through the overhang ceiling... right above the kitchen.  We traced it up to the refrigerator.  The water line that feeds the ice maker was spraying water like crazy straight into the wall and down through the floor thanks to what appeared to be a curious rodent.  So, that's what we've been dealing with.



There's an incredibly loud fan and pump in my kitchen that's been running non-stop for 4 days.  My fridge is pulled out into the middle of the floor, blocking access to my cabinets.  I have a long tube running across my floor up to my kitchen sink.  I can see outside through a hole in my floor behind the fridge.  Bonus, I now know exactly where the shut-off valve is to my fridge line!  Also, we caught it very very early so there's no structural damage or anything, just new insulation and a bit of drywall and plywood will be needed.  I'm learning things :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Allie Update

Victim Triangle

Enough Planning, More Doing