Charleston, SC

We took a day trip out to Charleston, SC yesterday.  It was only a 2 hour drive and I felt absolutely fine.  We visited Charles Towne, the first British settlement in South Carolina.  They had a really interesting display out there, complete with a full-scale cargo ship.  Charles Towne was the hub for the sugar and timber trade to and from Barbados.  They had used up all the timber in Barbados to process the cane into sugar so they began shipping timber from Charles Towne to Barbados, and the sugar from Barbados to Charles Towne (and then out to the world).  Noah didn't want to get out of the ship.  I couldn't believe how much cargo they managed to pack into the tiny vessel.  Must have been a really fun ride :P  We also saw a few of the archaeological sites from the Native Americans (Kiawa tribe)... they had a mere 3 months to start and finish the dig thanks to some stupid contract for land development.  They were racing the bulldozers to uncover history, basically.  The walk around the sites was a good 4 miles, which was more than enough for me.  I was happy to get back to the van and relax.

After the history lesson we drove into the city to find some excellent seafood.  Score!  It was delicious... Josh finally got to eat some crab legs :)  Then we walked out to the pier, which was like 200 yards away.  The boys ran all over the dock laughing and screaming, chasing seagulls and each other.  Then we headed home.  It was a great trip.

I brought my camera, but after I had gotten it out I had the sudden desire to just put it back.  I didn't want to be bothered with the responsibility, hassle, and sheer size of the camera.  I just wanted to be there and have fun.  I did take a few pictures for other people at the pier... I might have a slight addiction to photography ;) haha.  I don't regret not taking photos at all.  I had a lot of fun with my boys!  We're planning to try and visit a couple more SC parks this month before we leave.  Of course nothing too far away.

Comments

Michelle said…
Sounds like fun! I got tired of lugging my camera case around too. That's why I asked for a mini digital camera for Christmas. I just keep it in my purse and if there is a "must have" picture I will get it out. So far, it's turned out to be a pretty good idea. Except that I get lazy and never carry the "good" camera anywhere. LOL
Nerdular said…
Sounds cool. :) I understand the not wanting to deal with the camera feelings. That's why a small point and shoot is essential. Or my phone, at the least. Seems like I always have to take a shot of something. ;) I've been researching the best phone cameras lately, lol! I can't even get an upgrade on my phone for months.
Amalia said…
That sounds like a lot of fun. I have had the same reaction about taking pictures. I actually had that reaction in San Antonio, which is why I didn't take many. I am glad you had a great time in charleston.

Popular posts from this blog

Allie Update

Victim Triangle

Enough Planning, More Doing