Noah the Helper, my little Leo



Noah has always been a helpful little guy in the kitchen. Ever since I first got the stepstool out back when he was a mere 16mos old, he's been by my side. It was like he had been watching me for months and finally had the chance to show me what he learned. He was throwing away the ends of the carrots, putting the pieces I cut into the pot, covering the pot with the lid. It was shocking to see how much he already knew! I tried to dissuade this obsession by getting him his OWN food and pots and pans and spatulas, but this only made things worse because he got more practice on my off time. So here I am with a toddler who won't get out of my kitchen.



It started out cute and helpful, but more often than not I just want him out of the way. He thinks he should be allowed to do everything, to include cutting veggies and flipping pancakes and adding salt. All I end up with is an even bigger mess. I think I am the only mom to ever yell "JUST STOP HELPING ME" to a child. I need to come up with some new words. Whenever I cover a pot, there's Noah to take the lid back off and stir whatever is inside:
"NO, leave it alone! let it cook! let it get hot!"
"ok. wait. really really hot. sorry, mommy"
lid goes back on, comes right back off 2 seconds later
"Noah! wait!"
"ok wait. wait. ok mommy"
lid goes back on, comes right back off 2 seconds later
"NOAH! LEAVE IT ALONE!"
"alone. ok, mommy. sorry, mommy. hot"
lid goes back on, comes right back off 2 seconds later
...and this goes on forever
I finally had to start bribing him to leave the kitchen, which he'll still only do if I leave too.

His helpfulness doesn't stop there! Think of any situation possible where someone can do something and Noah is there getting in the way with his compassion and independence. Once I was going to the bathroom and he burst in to visit. He then proceeded to get me toilet paper and when I went to take it from him he pulled it away and walked toward me with the obvious desire to wipe my butt for me. NO! I can do it myself, thank you! Since then I lock the door, and since then he cries and bangs outside the door.
He is constantly getting water everywhere, trying to do dishes.
He whines at me every time I vacuum instead of him.
He wakes me up every morning and hands me pants and takes off my blankets and says "awake, mommy".
He makes his own peanut butter sandwiches, which is actually quite nice as long as I never want peanut butter. The fingerprints and drool aren't to my liking.
He removes his own diapers/pullups to change himself.
He feeds the dog.
He feeds the ferret.
He scolds the dog.
He scolds the ferret.
He washes himself in the shower.
He tries to clip his own nails and mine.
He rubs the lotion on his skin.
He dries himself off.
He brushes his teeth.
He washes his hands.
He tries to load his DVD's.
He lets himself and the dog outside.
He puts on his own boots or shoes.
He get me my shoes and tries to place them on my feet.
He whines when I sweep the floor instead of him.
He takes the trash to the trashcans at the side of the house.
He brings the cans back from the curb.
He loads groceries into the car and into the house.
He puts groceries away.
He puts clean dishes away.
He makes his own chocolate milk... except for the milk part.
He butters his own toast.
He reads his books to himself.
He puts his clean clothes away.
He puts his dirty clothes away.
He puts clothes into the washer.
He loads the dryer.
He throws in the downy ball.
He adds the oxyclean.
He tries to fasten his own carseat.
He tries to unlock the car.
He shuts the trunk and the doors (which is always preceeded by "Noah watch your fingers!").

The list goes on. He truly is the perfect son. With enough practice he will be the best helper in da world, perfect timing for the new baby. Just imagine all these tasks done by a 2yr old. They are done messy. They require being redone. If they are not first done by Noah he throws a big fit for I have challenged his manhood. I try not to discourage him from helping, but lately I've just wanted to tell him to buzz off so I can do things ONE TIME and be done.

Comments

Pam said…
Don't worry, eventually it will be like pulling teeth to get him to help you! They "help" when they can't, and when they can, they won't... Aaah... the joys of parenting...
:-)

Popular posts from this blog

Allie Update

Victim Triangle

Enough Planning, More Doing