Fall is Coming!

For those of you who don't already know I grew up in northern Ohio. Ohio has humid summers, sometimes cold and wet springs, looooong freezing winters, and gorgeous falls. My all-time favorite season is Fall, Autumn... whatever you choose to call it. I say Fall because I am just not prestigious enough to be walking around throwing Autumn at people. I think I would sound pretentious. But anyway, despite my hatred for school my entire young life Fall remained my number one season. I love the way the leaves smell, and the crisp chill in the air. I loved crunching every single leaf I could as I walked to school... and that's still one of my favorite sounds.

We had so much fun in the Fall. We didn't have to freeze or sweat while playing outside, and our yard was not even remotely in need of Fall leaves :) This may have annoyed my poor Dad, but it really charged us kids up. We would take our rakes and make huge intricate mazes through the yard and then chase each other through them (we called it "witch in the graveyard"). My Mom also took us apple and pumpkin picking every year. We ate apples until we were ill, and then we ate more. If you've never had an apple fresh from the tree you're really missing out! Mom baked apple pies from scratch and we all painted our own pumpkins. Mom made a business out of it (because yes she was THAT good). Once or twice we kids got good enough to be able to sell our little creations as well! I remember the treks to the pumpkin patches, picking out the best ones, unloading the car, scrubbing all the pumpkins down. I looked forward to it every year.


On top of the memories, there's the gorgeous scenery and awesome holidays. I cannot wait to finally see Fall foliage again! We have mostly conifers out here in southern Georgia, but I think the deep greens will only add to the beauty of the sparsely peppered reds and yellows on the hillsides. So we've got the amazing colors and smells, and then we add Halloween and Thanksgiving. Seriously... who wouldn't love this time of year?! One holiday where you get to dress up and get tons of candy (which lasts more than a year in this house... we still have Easter candy). Another holiday that involves tons of delicious food and time with family, and no presents have to be bought!! Thanksgiving's my favorite because I love to cook, eat, and spend time with my family :)

In short (hahaha yeah suuure this is short) I am in high spirits and ready to welcome Fall. The temperature is finally dropping below the 90's and a cool breeze is blowing in. I did a couple fun crafts with the boys today in honor of the season finally changing. Noah did a great job cutting all the leaves out for his leaf collage. He was concentrating so hard! Notice Noah's grimaced smile? That is the best example of why he doesn't get his picture taken often anymore. He just doesn't want to look at the camera or smile. I guess he's had enough after 4 years of constant pictures!


I had a tough time trying to get Tristan interested in coloring rather than chewing on the crayons... which is why our hand turkeys are so blah. I can't wait for all the good times Fall has to offer! For once Josh will be here with us to share in the memories!!! :D :D That's the absolute best part, of course :) Happy days are here again!!!

Comments

Britni said…
Hehe...I love your hand turkeys!!

I love that you still have that 1st picture that I took of you while we skipped school back in the day. We were so rebelious....we tried at least,right? haha.

Fall is one of my favorite times too. I love the cool weather :)
boofyjo said…
So did your mom bake fresh pumpkin pies? I've always wanted to learn how to make a pumpkin pie from scratch. I've tried recipes from the internet, but this is something where I think i need a real live demo.

Great pictures!
Allison said…
Mom never made the pumpkin pies from scratch, but the recipe on the pumpkin can is good! haha :)
Haley Elizabeth said…
I love all the old pictures. I miss Ohio in the Fall. The leaves don't change here until like end of November. It's very odd. I'm looking forward to spending the "prime time" of fall in Ohio. At least it's good for one thing..the seasons haha.
Amalia said…
I totally know what you are talking about. I love fall, is it my favorite? It might be. The leaves are starting to turn right now. Me and Matthew went to a cider mill, I have to upload the pictures. I still want to do apple picking. :) woohoo fall!

Popular posts from this blog

Allie Update

Victim Triangle

Enough Planning, More Doing