Feeling More Normal

Our visit to Ohio was stressful and sad, but nice. I love to see family and EVERYONE was there. Even my nephew was able to get emergency leave to come home between Marine Corp. training requirements. The funeral was amazing... it was exactly how I would want mine. We were randomly spouting off great memories of Grandma from our seats, laughing and crying together. Grandma's favorite color was purple (mostly lavendar) so we all wore something purple.



I learned a lot about my Grandmother that I never knew. She hadn't been the person everyone described for nearly 10 years. She was already "old" when we last 3 kids were born. I never got to debate politics or religion with her, but it's OK... I don't have any regrets. I was sad knowing that this next baby would never get to sit in Great Grandma's lap and cheer her up. My Grandma LOVED babies. Babies and little kids would make her light up like crazy and all the adults would disappear. Babies make everything better. They sure cheered us all up afterwards when they were trying on Grandma's jewelry and playing "America's Next Top Model".



We got back really late on the 18th, technically the 19th. I've just been sleeping and relaxing and trying to process everything. I learned a lot about my family and got to see them all react to a crisis. I must say I was very impressed. I saw my Father express emotion, which is rare indeed... so when it happens it makes quite an impact on all of us. This is the first time I felt we all were on the same level. We treated each other as adults... all of us, even Ben (the youngest) were considered adult. It felt good.

Today I am feeling a lot more like myself. I have other stories to tell, but I am totally not in the mood. I just wanted everyone to know that we're fine and we're back in Texas.

Comments

Pam said…
I'm glad you're back, Allie, and that you were able to go spend time with your family to say goodbye to your grandma. Take care of yourself and give yourself permission to feel whatever you need to feel.

Boy, that sounds sort of granola-y and weird, but you know what I mean: Just take care of yourself!!
:-)
Allison said…
Thanks! It's good to be back :) I love granola.
Britni said…
I am glad you got to see your family even though it was for such a sad event.I love all the pictures.Especially the one of you your Mom & your Dad on the couch.I like that you all wore something purple too,what a great idea.Glad you both are home safe.

Popular posts from this blog

Allie Update

Victim Triangle

Enough Planning, More Doing