Sunday Soccer

Josh got recruited for another soccer league. We're going to be watching games every Sunday, which is cool because otherwise we'd probably watch TV or needlessly spend money or something. It was a little difficult handling a dog and two kids (one in desperate need of food and a nap). I finally got Tristan to take a nap in the stroller though so we were fine. Next time it won't be as bad because we won't be going as early as we did. They made the park sound ridiculously awesome online, and it totally wasn't in person. There wasn't any shade out their either. We all got a little burned (except Tristan). Lesson learned! Bosley did pretty good. There were 4 other dogs there and he got uber excited at first, but then calmed down after I used my Cesar Millan tricks (hahaha). He's still learning the ropes, but he's adapting pretty well.

After the game the boys were all playing on the kitchen floor, and in the cupboards while I was cooking dinner. Tristan was cracking up at Noah hiding and poking his head out. Bosley was a little confused, but I think he was having a good time :)

We learned a few things about Bosley over the past few days. I think he used to be beaten because he is sooooo skiddish, especially if you make a sudden move or throw a toy or something. It broke my heart yesterday because he was doing ok, but I caught him pooping on the rug so I said NO, put his nose by it, and gave him a little tap on the shnoz... the rest of the day he was hiding and shaking and scared. I felt AWFUL!!! He needs to know he can't poo on my rug, but I am going to have to keep my hands off him for sure. Poor guy. Also, when Josh came home (in uniform) he was FREAKING OUT! He kept running away from him. We figure he was beaten, and his owner was in the military... he saw that uniform and RAN! Poor poor Bosley. We're going to work on some re-association. I'm going to have Josh give him treats and other goodies while wearing his uniform so he associates good things with camouflage from now on. He's finally eating his food today and seems better. He snapped out of his timidity a bit after our walk yesterday. He loves walks! He was only recently neutered (may be a purebred beagle) so we are working on his nasty "marking" habit. Day by day. We're still going to bring him with us to Ohio. We want him to know he's ours and is going to be ours forever and we won't leave him. He will snap out of this and finally trust people again, even when he does something bad.

Comments

Britni said…
I think all of that is normal . It does sound like he was scared of his last owners. I have seen dogs who have been abused and it is so sad to see them tremble in fear like that! I think with time he will learn to trust people and I know he is loving his new home!

That picture totally reminds me of our girls with Tristan peeking in the cupboard. Ember loves to peek in on Ava in random places,haha.Today she stood on her head & peeked at Ava through her legs!haha
Britni said…
Poor thing it sounds like he did a great job while you were there though. That souds like me two winters ago during Ember's pregnancy. I couldn't breathe at all & was in & our of the ER 4 times! I had my breathing machine so long that my insurance paid for the entire thing & it's now mine,woo-hoo! I also have like 1,000 albuterol filler for it. I hate asthma. It is a very scary feeling. Did they give you a breathing machine to bring home? Those are always good to have on hand when you have someone in your household with asthma.

I'm glad he's feeling better!
Jennifer said…
Hi Alison-

Some words of advice from your cousin with 4 dogs...get him on a regular schedule. Only feed him at the same time every day. Our dogs are like clockwork with that. They eat at 5:30 AM and 4 PM every day. They poop when Paul takes them out after 5 AM and when I get home from work-3 of them go at the same time and one goes immediately after he eats. We never have to worry about it because we know when to expect it. We crate trained all of them-including the rescue (our last one) who was also abused. If you take him out and he doesn't go and you know he has to, take him out again in 10-15 min until you know he's done his thing. I highly recommend Cesar Milan's books or even videos of his show. He talks a lot about welcoming a rescue dog into your family and about the behavior issues and how to deal. It was an absolute God send for us. He's amazing with dogs.

Jennifer
He looks like a great dog. It always takes time to adjust from previous owners just be patient. I have seen a lot of dogs who behave as if they've been abused and it is very sad. I do read your blog often I just rarely make time to log in and comment. I am so lazy lately.
Amalia said…
I agree with your cousin on the crate training. When I had Jasmine she wasn't crate trained and even though she was primarily a good dog, she would have "accidents" all the time. Merryl was crate trained, and she caught on quickly. There are the occasional problems, like once she had a bladder infection and we didnt know it, but stuff like that is understandable, and rare. It is really difficult to crate train at first because you feel like such a jerk locking them in a cage, but it really does make a difference. Merryl wont sleep anywhere but her kennel now, its her den. BTW, your dog is adorible. I love beagles. Russell wants one so bad, He wants to get his little girl one. Granted the little girl hasn't been conceived yet, but that is the plan when it does happen.
Jennifer said…
Oh yay for Bosley! I love the idea of saving a dog from the pound! I want to get another, but brett says no. haha. My aunt's pound puppy was abused before she got him too. He was always a little skiddish, but eventually it dwindled to just a LITTLE. Poor baby! I tried to crate train Emma, but she HATED it. I would just give treats when she would go outside and eventually she got the idea that that's what i wanted her to do.
Haley Elizabeth said…
Aww poor puppy! He'll be fine once he lives with you guys for a while and gets associated and used to everything around him. Good idea bringing him with you to Ohio. That good for him to know he's defintely part of the family. We got Jersey associated to traveling VERY early. She's not really good dog in the car and traveling.

Popular posts from this blog

Allie Update

Victim Triangle

Enough Planning, More Doing