My Poor Baby

Last night Noah woke up again around 2:30am, saying he saw bugs flying in his room again. He was especially freaked out by his monster truck, which he claimed had a dead bug or something on it. I looked all over the place and didn't see anything. I gave him some Dimetapp since he was all stuffy and some Motrin because he seemed really restless, like he was in pain. He was quiet for maybe 15 minutes and then he just WAILED in terror. I ran over there and turned the lights on. He kept saying there were mosquitoes in his room. I brought him to my bed, thinking he was just seeing shadows or something, maybe had a nightmare.

We were doing OK, but he was still restless. He was acting pretty strange and very freaked out. He kept telling me about the bugs everywhere and asking me if I could see them "see um mommy? see quitos? fly away. GO AWAY QUITOS!". At one point he saw them on me and just kept saying "oh no! oh no!" and he was trying to wipe them off with a tissue. I thought it was just the shadows, the TV was on, the fan was running... so I turned on the light. He was telling me all about the shadows everywhere. I told him if he closes his eyes he won't see them anymore. This made it all worse. He shut his eyes really tight and put his hands over them and when he opened them back up he went crazy! He thought he had bugs all over his hands and he just couldn't wipe them off. He jumped out of bed and was running away, but everywhere he looked they were still there, including on me. He just kept crying and screaming. It was awful. He finally calmed down enough so that I could hold him. By now it was about 6:30 so I called my mom for advice.

I was pretty sure he was seeing those little light spots/sun spots in his eyes. I get them sometimes when my allergies are bad or if I have a headache. If you're 2, they can be horrifying. I couldn't explain them to him. I couldn't make them go away. I just felt so bad for Noah. He was traumatized. Mom suggested I make a consultation appointment with my pediatrician and see what he says... maybe he can recommend an allergist or an ophthalmologist or something. My mom also said to give him more Motrin because he probably had a headache. After the Motrin kicked in he seemed better, but he was still extremely scared and wouldn't let go of me even for a second, but at least the bugs were gone. He was up the rest of the day until 12:30pm. We were both exhausted. He napped until 4:30, I napped until 4. He's been checking his hands for bugs or bug bites all day.

Hopefully this doesn't happen again tonight. At least this time I'll feel a little more prepared. My poor baby. I'm also not going to be staying up late anymore. He never seems to wake up earlier than 2 and I can use that little extra sleep. I was up late drawing. I hardly ever feel like drawing so when the urge hits, I just gotta!

Comments

Britni said…
Poor thing!I agree with your Mom.I would bring him to the pediatrician.Something is going on it's just so hard to tell what it is when you're dealing with toddlers.I hope you guys figure it out.Maybe he will be put on allergy medicine.My friend Beth's little boy has allergies just like his Mommy too.
~Brit
Amalia said…
Have you heard of night terrors? My son gets them especially after a stay in the hospital. He gets them after something somewhat traumatizing happens. Once, my son got it after an ear cleaning, which isn't painful, but he had to be held down. The pediatrician confirmed my suspicions of it not to long ago. It is apparently very common.
Allison said…
The first few times I thought maybe night terrors were the culprit. He's the age when they really start getting common, especially for boys. But, once he was up for 6 hours and was still seeing things I figured he was fully awake and it had to be something else. Night terrors are horrible! Poor Matthew :(
Amalia said…
Yeah, we have another surgery coming so, time to get my daytime naps in...

Popular posts from this blog

Allie Update

Victim Triangle

Enough Planning, More Doing