Right Now

Photo taken by Rich Legg


Right now there are hundreds of people honoring Trista.
Right now her family is in the front row, feeling empty.
Right now her friends are behind them, remembering her as best they can.
Right now it's time to say goodbye and let go.

The funeral has been going on for 40 minutes now. I hope someone got up and spoke about her and maybe even made everyone laugh. She was a joker and it would be a shame to spend an hour remembering her, not even laughing once. If not, though... I understand. When a light that bright goes out it's hard to remember what everything looked like before it turned dark. I can only imagine how hard it is, how many people are there... what the flowers look like. I know the flags of New Jersey were ordered to be flown at half mast today in honor of Trista. I imagine the whole town can feel the heaviness of this somber day. As painful as it must be to sit in that church and look at that box covered in an American flag, I really wish I was there. My tears would join everyone else's in remembrance. Right now they're just falling on my computer desk while "The Backyardigans" sing in the background. I'm with you guys. I know I am. I won't be there to salute. I won't be there to toss any flowers before they cover her up. But, I'm here and I'm remembering her with everyone else... so I must be there. I would say I hope they are giving her a heroes send-off, but I know they are. She was a hero, not because she died, because of how she lived her life.

Photo taken by Ko(char *)hook

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Allie Update

Victim Triangle

Enough Planning, More Doing