Allie Allergy

It's humid as all hell today so I am already having enough difficulty breathing, but I decided the ferret cage needed to be cleaned as well. So now I am sitting here, all mad and itchy because I have allergies and I HATE them. I've had them my entire life but I am still dumb enough to do crazy things like... dust. When I was little I started allergy shots, 2 a week for awhile there and then the serum got thicker and the time between the shots got longer. I made it to the last level and it was like getting 2 tetanus shots every month which would take about two weeks to heal. I decided it wasn't worth it. I think they did me some good, but this town has got to be the worst place I have ever lived for my allergies.

I was nicknamed Allie Allergy after my first allergy test back when I was... 8? I remember laying there on my stomach, looking for Waldo while they pricked little holes in my back and dripped nasty allergens into them. My allergy doctor said he couldn't believe how allergic I was to dust, mites, pollen, ragweed, grass, cats and... raw potatoes. I was immediately placed on that allergy shot program for everything but the raw potatoes. I also had some nasty blisters under my eyelids from whatever allergies do to eyelid skin. Some summers it felt like I had glass in my eyes. I still have the nasty buggers in one eye. Don't you feel so bad for me? *tear*

I didn't complain much as a kid about my allergies. They got me out of a lot of horrible chores like dusting and mowing the grass, changing the litterbox. They also got me out of a lot of fun activities like playing softball. The field is just dust and grass, you know... and love. I didn't finally play on an actual softball team until my junior year of high school. I would hit and throw in my backyard with all my big brothers, dad & brother-in-law. They would pitch to me and oooh and aaah at my mad skillz, but I was never allowed to play. Junior year I hit 6 home runs and made it onto the allstar team where I was the only one to hit a triple the entire season. Unfortunately I had started too late and was not accepted onto our school's softball team. That's pretty much the last time I played. Dumb allergies.

Now if you'll excuse me I am going to drop some visine into my eyes. I assume Visine is a melting agent due to the painful burn that follows a drip. Later ;) that's me closing my bad eye.

Comments

Pam said…
We have so much in common, Allie. I too had the allergy tests and shots and was told I was allergic to everything on the planet except the following foods: lamb, pears, green beans and rice. I did the shots for years and finally abandoned them when I realized it wasn't really having a positive impact on my life. My eyes swell shut if I get too close to the grass clippings in the spring, my nose runs like a faucet all year round, I wheeze and squeak when I get a cold, we can't have pets since just thinking about fur or feathers causes my lungs to collapse. I am a vision of loveliness! And worst of all, I lived for sports as a kid and could never be healthy enough consistently to even think about making the team.

*sigh*

It's tough living in the real world when you belong in a bubble, isn't it?

I hope you get some relief from both the allergies AND the humidity. I really DO feel your pain!
Allison said…
Wow... we really do have a lot in common! Thanks for the well wishes. It's finally raining today so maybe all the floating allergens will drown and die. At least the humidity has subsided and I can breathe a little easier.

hahaha yeah I bet a bubble would have worked wonders! :D
Britni said…
Well I have always had mild allegies....my symptoms get waaay worse during pregnancy and with all of my asthma problems lately I feel you pain!I hate the feeling of not being able to breathe it makes me panicky :P
I also hate how my weezing tickles my throat & makes me cough all the time like a little old lady :)ok I'm done complaining now.Hope your allergies get better & not worse as you get further along in your pregnancy.For some people I hear your allergies can improve during pregnancy...but for some,like moi,they get worse!

Popular posts from this blog

Allie Update

Victim Triangle

Enough Planning, More Doing