SAHM Bragging Rights

So... Josh is in some class he has to take before he's an official instructor or something. It's a general purpose, all-around, everything class. They cover health and welfare, STD's, nutrition, blah blah blah... common sense stuff (that's not really common, as it turns out). OK now for the bragging.

Yesterday was the nutrition portion. The class was asked "who has eaten a home-cooked meal in the past 48 hours?". In a class of about 20 only 3 people raised their hands... and I might be wrong, but I think Josh said at least 11 are married with kids. Then they asked who ate what. I had just made us baked salmon, sauteed zucchini, wild rice pilaf, and salad. The teacher was skeptical and asked if that was a normal meal for us. Maybe not the salmon part, but yes. We have a protein, starch, veggie, and salad most meals. "You eat salad every day?" pretty much. So I won the award for "best wife" that day hahaha. People don't realize that cooking is a skill. You have to practice it and develop it and in no time you can make fresh, healthy meals in an hour or less. I love to cook and it's really important to me to feed my family a healthy meal. Even when I was working full-time I cooked dinner for myself and Noah every night. That was our bonding time.

As a Stay at Home Mom I was thrilled. My duties are boring. They are monotonous. They are... easy, in a way. So if I get complimented on my child's behavior or intelligence, my cooking, or my home I am full of glee. That's all I've got to show for myself, people. I felt special... and even though none of those people have any clue who I am, they know my hubby eats well hahaha. I'd like to thank my Mom, who always cooked for us and taught me what constitutes a balanced meal. Sadly, I am so excited about this that I actually blogged 3 detailed paragraphs sigh. ;)

Also of note. Josh's baby was delivered yesterday. When we got the money from the house I agreed to get a new TV. It's 37" I think. I don't remember... all I know is it's the biggest one we could get that would still fit in the entertainment center. He was uber excited. I am enjoying it as well, I must admit.

Comments

Who cares if they don't know who you are. Like you said they know your husband has a wife at home that likes to take good care of her family. I always feel appreciated when other people notice things that I do as a SAHM. Dave's coworkers have always said to him that I am underappreciated for all that I do. It feels good to know that people take interest in our crazy days.
Britni said…
Congrats on the new tv!

It does feel nice when you are noticed like that for all of the hard work you do every day. I agree it is so monotonous and easy I could do it all with my eyes closed anymore but then about once a week there is one of those crazy days that makes you wonder how you are sane....right....well it happens to me!
I have been doing well cooking healthy meals too. I love spinach salads and I eat a lot of yogurt....not a talent of course but it is healthy...with Marks schedule I am just cooking dinner for Ava & I. I must be doing something right because she loves green peppers,red peppers,carrots and corn...she even likes some kinds of lettuce,loves rice...the list goes on.
Mark is a very very good cook though and loves to do it so we take turns cooking.
I love baking any kind of dessert. That would be my talent in the kitchen....if I do say so myself.

Man I am just typing too much on peoples blogs tonight!!!

I think you are doing a great job as a wife & Mommy of 2 though!!! It may feel easy but it really is a very hard job!!!
Amalia said…
I totally know what you are talking about. I was doing the big perfect meals more when I wasn't a single mom. lol. Russell brags about my cooking and my ability for languages. Which makes me laugh, cause I never thought I had ability. I would also remember Josh bragging about you and your ability for languages. haha. He was at cynthias without before I left and I had a friend there, and all he did was talk about how intelligent and beautiful you were and how good you were at languages and then listed all the languages you speak. Which I think some were just maybe at a level one, but more than most. I remember envying that. Now I have a husband that talks like that about me. heeehee. Yay! We are some awsome chicks!
Pam said…
You earned those bragging rights, so enjoy them!

And what's with the whole moving-into-a-new-house-and-now-we-need-a-new-tv thing? When we moved into this house almost 3 years ago the same thing was decreed and we got a 50-incher. Now that we have it, I love it, of course! And with hi-def, you can count nose hairs, watch sweat form, and all sorts of other fun stuff.
;-)
Jennifer said…
When we moved into our apartment, Brett had to have a new tv too haha. The one he got even I'm like 'uh, that's wayyyyy too big.' but of course he's a proud papa of his new baby. haha

Congrats on the food making. I love to cook!

Popular posts from this blog

Allie Update

Victim Triangle

Enough Planning, More Doing